Sunday 16 October 2016

How to maybe pass your driving test..

Hey Guys,

If your in the UK and are coming up to the ripe old age of 17 ( 16 if your in the US of A) your mind will be wandering to driving, whether you can pass, whether you should take the test, or if you even should be let lose on the road.

I once, back in the day last year went through the same questions, I especially was concerned about others people's safety if and when i was set lose on the road...

However, i have passed my test now ( over a month a go actually...) and i now feel relatively if not slightly under-qualified to give you some advice on driving...

1. DO NOT START IF YOU ARE NOT READY...
I for example unfortunately have my birthday in the midst of revising season, therefore i knew i could not even attempt to start driving until i had gotten my exams out the way. In that couple of months before i started driving i was able to take a step back, i defiantly would not have been ready to take my test on the day of my birthday. So do not worry if you have turned 17 and do not have the urge to get behind a wheel.

2. THEORY FIRST
As with everything in life driving and passing are not simple. First if you did not know you have to pass a theory driving test before you start driving practically. For me as someone who likes to understand the rules before starting anything found it helpful to look through the highway code and understand the regulations and rules of the road. It meany when i started learning my theory and driving at the same time it wasn't totally new to me. I could recognise the signs and the road markings, which meant driving became less scary... for both me and my parents.

3. USE YOUR RESOURCES
Do not start shelling out £50 for a 2 hour lesson, go out first with you parent/ guardian/ over 21 year old licensed driver you can trust. I started with 'lay-by driving' which is basically driving up and down a lay-by, reversing, getting used to the steering wheel and pedals. Driving is all about small and simple steps, break down what is a difficult skill to make it easier to learn. All this practice you've down will mean when you do start driving with an instructor you can start from step 6 instead of step 1, saving you both time and money.

4. GET A DRIVING INSTRUCTOR YOU CAN TRUST
I was very lucky and with the first try i had an amazing driving instructor. She was so helpful and luckily we got on really well, making the whole process easier. If like some i know who do not like their instructor don't be afraid to get a new one or swap, they will not be that offended as they know not everyone has the same taste. Its better to be happy than unhappy.

5. PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT
Driving like with any skill takes time to perfect, therefore practice driving any way you can. I used to drive my dad to do the food shop every Saturday and drive back from school as well. This helped me get used to the road and other drivers, it made me learn the 15 million eyes you need to be able to see everything you need to be aware off on the road.

I hope this helps relieve anyone of their driving fears and gives you a bit of confidence that you will eventually pass.

If you are far of learning to drive, watch your parents or somebody else drive while you're in the car to see how they do it- it might come in useful later.

Love,
LadyoftheRivers x

No comments:

Post a Comment