Friday 16 September 2016

Book Review- The Cursed Child


Hey Guys,

I recently read The Cursed Child as I have definitely caught the Harry Potter Bug recently after finally getting round to finish reading the series. So I thought I'd carry this new fascination on to reading the new play 'The Cursed Child'. Now I have heard some mixed reviews about this, some vehemently dislike it others ,myself included, really enjoyed it.

This play is right up my ally, i am a sucker for epilogues and fan fictions that take the characters and put them in different places with new problems. For those who haven't read it the play is based around Harry Potter's son Albus Severus Potter ( I know it's a ridiculous name) who feels like the 'Cursed Child' in his house as he is sort off the odd one out. Without spoiling the play he goes on adventures with his only friend Scorpius Malfoy ( A Potter and a Malfoy are friends...What ever is next)

For those who have read it, will know the crazy and insane things that happen, and i kind of loved that, the 'weird' things for me represent the wizarding world where literally anything could happen. I also really loved the 'villain' in this, for me it literally came out of nowhere and i honestly believed the character was completely innocent for over half the book.

I think i also really like the play because the characters for me were really interesting. I connected a lot more with Albus than i sometimes did with Harry in the original series and because it was a play every dialogue Albus has is meant to show you parts of his personality that would normally be described in a novel, and i really like that because Albus is then as a character more open to interpretation. When you read this Scorpius Malfoy will have your heart straight away, he is the sweetest, loyal and lovely character, there are parts where he shows his capacity for evil but most of him is focused on having adventures with friends, which is all he ever wanted.

One of my favourite thing about the play was Harry's nightmares and night terrors, i think that shows how deeply the war and the constant struggle for 8 years with Voldermort damaged him. It gives each character something else and thats why i really liked it, it was a continuation of these characters, exploring them differently and changing them up, which is one of my favourite thing to read.

I am beyond excited to see how they are going to stage and act this play... But if you haven't got tickets or want to revisit
the Harry Potter world or even see what all the hype is about, I would 100% recommend reading the play as it was something i really enjoyed.

Hope you do too.
Love,

LadyoftheRivers x

No comments:

Post a Comment